Sunday, January 9, 2011

Hearty "Rotisserie" Chicken Noodle Soup


On cold winter days, nothing is better than a warm bowl of a thick and hearty soup.  Chicken noodle always does the trick for me and I thoroughly enjoyed this bowl while my kiddo was taking a nap, which have been seemingly fleeting from his daily schedule.   

Making this soup is seriously quick and simple, especially if you use a rotisserie chicken from your local grocer.  I'll be honest...I buy one of these a few times a month, that's just one of my many secrets (wink, wink). 


 Hearty "Rotisserie" Chicken Noodle
2 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (approx)
1 medium onion, chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
1.5 c chopped carrots
2 cloves chopped garlic
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
White meat from one rotisserie chicken
5 c chicken broth
1 bag frozen egg noodles
1/3 c flour mixed with 1/3 c. milk
1.5 c milk

1. Saute onion, celery and carrots in butter and olive oil until onion is translucent. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. 
2. Add spices and chicken, stir and saute 2 minutes.
3. Add broth and noodles.  Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low.  Cook 10-15 minutes until noodles are cooked through. 
3. Add flour/milk mixture; then, add the rest of the milk.  Bring to a boil again, reduce heat and simmer uncovered until soup has thickened.

Enjoy on a cold day while *hopefully* everyone is asleep.



P.S. Thank you for all the lovely comments on reaching my #1-year blog-a-versary! I'm so excited about the many entries to win the $50 J.Crew giveaway; if you haven't already entered, click here...

Sharing with...
Just Something I Whipped Up at The Girl Creative
Tasty Tuesdays at 33 Shades of Green

4 comments:

Karena said...

Katie, how yummy on a cold snowy Kansas City Day!!

I do have A Great New Giveaway from Blydesign!Come and enter!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Anna Elder said...

my mom made me homemade chicken noodle soup this weekend while i'm recovering surgery and avoiding getting on crutches as much as possible. your recipe looks so delicious and very hearty. i can't wait to see the winner of the j.crew card!

k said...

that snds soooo good, esp for this weather!

alissa {33shadesofgreen} said...

Hi Katie - I love thick hearty soups like this! And great idea to use a rotisserie chicken too. Thanks so much for linking up!
Alissa

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails