Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup



I can honestly say that during the cold months, I make at least one large pot of soup a week.  A good soup is satisfying and filling, plus, you can use your favorite vegetables, proteins, and spices to make it your own. Click here and here for a couple of other soups I like to make.

Recently, I was inspired by this recipe to make Chicken Tortilla Soup; it was my first ever attempt at this soup.  It turned out so great, albeit a bit spicy, that I've been yearning for another bowl ever since I ate my last spoonful!

Here's my recipe:
1 lb cooked chicken breasts, shredded
1 green pepper and 3 jalapenos, roasted (skins removed and chopped)
4-5 corn tortillas
5-6 cups chicken broth
1 28oz can whole tomatoes, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves, finely chopped
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1. Saute the onion in olive oil until translucent, add the garlic and saute one minute more.  Add the tomatoes and their juice; cook 2 minutes over medium heat. 
2. Add broth, peppers, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper (or add to your taste).  Bring to a boil; then, reduce heat and simmer.
3. Crumble in the toritillas.  Then, puree about 60-70% of the soup in a food processor or use an immersion blender.  Return soup to pot.
4. Add shredded chicken and simmer approximately 20 minutes. 
5. Serve with fresh fried corn tortilla strips, avocado slices, sour cream and shredded cheddar or Monterrey Jack cheese. Enjoy!
 
Any soups on re-run at your house lately?

Sharing with...
Tasty Tuesdays at 33 Shades of Green
Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails