I'm so excited to share this recipe for Chicken Pot Pie with you today as a part of the Fall Roaming Recipe Exchange hosted by Pretty Mommy (here for the entire schedule). This dish is a welcome delight in our home during the fall and winter. It's creamy, indulgent and fills you up with warmth and wholesome goodness. Below is my recipe, you can vary it with the veggies you use (I think fresh green beans would be great!) and spices (Thyme would be a wonderful addition!).
Chicken Pot Pie (ala the30girl)
1 medium onion, chopped
8 oz sliced baby carrots
4 celery heart ribs, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3-4 chicken small-medium breasts or 2 large
4 tbsp butter
¼ tsp salt
1/3 c flour
2 c chicken broth
1 c evaporated milk
½ c half and half
½ c frozen peas
Salt and pepper to taste
1 recipe double pie crust or 2 packaged refrigerated pie crusts
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Saute chicken breasts in a drizzle of olive oil over medium low heat until cooked.
- In the meantime, place onion, carrots, and celery in melted butter in a large ceramic pot over medium heat. Cook until onions are translucent. Add garlic, cook for 1 minute.
- Add flour, stir together until ingredients form a paste and all flour is included.
- Add broth, milk, and half n’ half. Stir together and simmer over low heat until sauce thickens.
- Shred chicken and add to sauce.
- Add ½ c peas.
- Place chicken mixture in a 9/13 or container of your choice. Cover with pie crust, mash sides to dish with fork and brush with an egg wash.
- Bake in 425 degree oven until crust is golden brown.
P.S. I'm posting another recipe today for Pumpkin Apple Breakfast Muffins, a subtly sweet fall treat in addition to this savory deliciousness.