Tuesday, September 21, 2010

breakfast apple cake

taste testing...

It's true.  I have a sweet tooth.  Typically, I like to have something fresh baked around to satisfy my cravings, but I generally do my best to make that something as healthy as possible.  But, let's face it, I never eat one serving and extra sugar is not healthy no matter how you spin it.  

Yes.  I did pass the sweet tooth on to my kiddo. He prefers chocolate anything...go figure. 
Yes. He is wearing a muscle shirt; toddlers look cute in anything, right!?!

Recently, I purchased a load of granny smith apples and I've been baking them up in the form of 
cupcakes (recipe
and this here breakfast apple cake. 

Recipe
2 shredded granny smith apples
1/2 c applesauce (unsweetened)
1/2 c vegetable oil
1 c sugar
4 beaten eggs
1 c white flour
1 c whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/3 c chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices.  In a separate large bowl mix eggs, sugar, applesauce, oil, and apples.  Add dry ingredients to apple mixture.  Stir until just mixed.  Pour into sheet pan (I spray it with baking spray).  Sprinkle with walnuts and bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Sharing with...
Tasty Tuesdays at A Beautiful Mess 
Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog
Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family
Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest

2 comments:

Noellen said...

That looks super tasty! That will be a good weekend breakfast recipe for me. I like that it uses some whole wheat too. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Yum! We will definitely be trying this.

and I've got a blog award for you over on my blog. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails