Wednesday, February 24, 2010

super sweatshirt

 

Recently, I picked up a navy blue, hooded sweatshirt for, you guessed it, $2.24, at Target.  It was a perfect candidate for some felt applique; so, I made my son, Connor, a SUPER C sweatshirt using iron-on fusible backing, felt, and my sewing machine.  We are working on recognizing the "C" in the first letter of his name; so, I thought this sweatshirt would be a bit educational while inspiring his inner "Superman". 

 
1. First, I cut out a large C from a piece of gray felt to fit the back of the sweatshirt.  I also cut out a small turtle from green felt, a small piece of "dirt" from brown felt, and a small C from the gray felt for the front of the sweatshirt. 
2. Then, I transferred the fusible backing (just follow the directions on whatever kind you have) to the felt pieces and ironed them onto the sweatshirt.  
3. Lastly, to provide extra reinforcement and outlining, I used my sewing machine to outline the large C and the little "patch" on the front.  I hand stitched the small C on the front using gray thread.    
 

This little project took no time at all and now my little Superhero has a Super C Sweatshirt to wear.  Plus, each new project improves my novice sewing skills little-by-little.


What do you think? Does this project inspire you to makeover your clearance finds?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails