Tuesday, February 16, 2010

perfecting granola

 

Recently, I've been mad about making homemade granola.  It's so delicious, good for you, kid-friendly, and cheaper than buying a pre-made box.  I've been working with this recipe from epicurious.com.  What I like about this recipe is that it is a manageable portion that you can eat in a few days without having to freeze it.  Plus, it's so simple that I don't mind making it every few days.  

The30Girl's Modified, Melissa Hotek's Granola

What you need...
1/2 cup veggie or canola oil
1/2 real maple syrup
3 tablespoons honey
1 cup wheat germ
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
3 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup medium shred unsweetened coconut

What you do...
1. Mix the oil, syrup, honey, wheat germ, vanilla, and cinnamon in a large bowl.  
2. Add the oats, almonds and coconut.  Stir until all dry ingredients are wet.
3. Spread on a large cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  
4. Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees on the middle rack.  
5. Stir, then back approximately 10 minutes more, stirring frequently.  Granola should be completely dry, but not burnt.  
6. Cool to room temperature.  Add chocolate chips, dried fruit or whatever suits your fancy. 

I do not add anything until I'm ready to eat it.  Often, I add a few chocolate chips and eat it with milk.  Or I serve it with fresh berries, greek yogurt and honey. 


 

This is definitely a heart healthy snack. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails