Friday, April 2, 2010

sowing the seeds

What are you growing? 

I'm growing...
box 1

box 2

I did get a bit of a late start on growing from seed, but I think the seedlings should transplant just fine outside in a few weeks. I'm so excited to watch my herbs, flowers, and veggies grow from scratch.  

Check out the progress. Box 1 has about a week head start on box 2; so, I haven't seen any sprouts box 2 yet.  So far, my observations are that Zinnias germinate very quickly in about 3-4 days.  Moonflower and Sweet Basil germinate in about 5 days.  I think I'm starting to see a couple of Impatiens and the Chives, but no sign of the Four O'Clocks yet.  This is only day 6. 

I'm using Burpee's Eco-Friendly 25 Pellet Greenhouse Kit.  I purchased mine at Target for $6.97 and it came with a clear plastic lid to create the "greenhouse" effect.  For some reason, I can't find the same thing anywhere online, but here's a picture from my kitchen windowsill. 
  
I purchased my seeds at Target as well because my kiddo is a one-stop shopper; however, I recommend your local nursery.  They will have more of a variety and the staff can give you good advice as to what will actually grow in your area and yard; also, their prices will probably be cheaper as well.


baby zinnias

baby basil

Overall, growing from seed is much more economical and environmentally friendly than purchasing individual plants. Plus, it's a fun activity for kids to plant the seeds, watch them grow, transplant the new seedlings, and, potentially, indulge in the fruit of their labor.  My kiddo is still a bit to young to enjoy the fun, but I'm having enough for the both of us. 

I promise to keep you updated on the30girl garden's progress!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails