recently, i've read several posts (here and i can't recall) regarding jaques torres chocolate covered cherrios. since this american staple is a breakfast and snack fixture in my house, i just had to take the plunge and make some of my own. while they are not has beautiful as the confectioner's rendition, they are quite tasty and very easy to make and modify.
what i did:
- melted semi-sweet chocolate chips in a glass bowl over a double-boiler
- poured in a bunch of cheerios and stirred until all of the melted chocolate was covering a cheerio (so to waste no chocolate!)
- this is tedious part. using a fork, i placed the chocolate covered cheerios onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet in small forkfuls making sure that each cherrio lay flat.
- then, i sprinkled some organic, medium shred, unsweetened coconut onto 1/2 of the batch and pearlized sugar onto the other half.
- i placed the cookie sheet into the refrigerator until the chocolate was hard.
- lastly, i snapped the cherrios into tiny clusters or individual pieces.
- and...i've been eating them ever since!
white chocolate drizzle
dried orange zest
i think what makes these tasty morsels so appealing is that the cheerio is only slightly sweet with a hearty oat flavor that truly complements the chocolate.